24 November 2010

IS THERE ROOM FOR ONE MORE?

13 hours, 30 carcasses, and one additional little passenger later...(no, not a hitchhiker or a carcass, but my co-pilot's seven yr old daughter who lives in Las Cruces) Now we were finally ready to set up camp!  We had packed a two man (or two chicks and a "tot") tent as well as a "Dora the Explora" cabana type thing (which later blew away and had to be held down by small boulders!)  I built a fire using a few random sticks and lots of lighter fluid...(lesson learned...invest in some wood) and was able to generate enough heat to warm some soup and roast a few mallows!  With tired eyes we all squeezed into the tent and as I listened to the sounds of nature and little snores I realized that I was not going to sleep much.  Instead I'd "protect" our campsite by clutching a dull pocket knife as (slight) paranoia kept me awake and on guard!....Day three without sleep was quickly approaching, but luckily I fulfilled my duty and kept all predators at bay!  

All in all the campsite and hiking were gorgeous in Aguirre Springs, and I found out first hand that camping there is rather safe!  I would highly recommend a stop at Aguirre Springs if you ever find yourself counting carcasses on your way out of Texas and need a place to crash for 3 bucks a night!  One final word of advice...DO NOT set up camp and leave the premises if you plan on returning after 5pm...this will upset the groundskeeper IMMENSELY and she will consider not letting you back in...if she does let you back in she will lecture you for at least 20 minutes on how inconvenient you have made her life!...I do not think it was the thought of wild animals that kept me awake that night...I think it was the fear that this woman was still ENRAGED as she had to unlock the gate after 5pm...You've been warned!

Now if only I can make it four more hours...A delicious meal, a warm bed, and a cuddly T-Bone awaits!




No comments:

Post a Comment